Camelot Rise Primary School actively caters for students with high intellectual potential and special talents.
Our school recognises that 'Gifted and Talented" students learn at a much faster rate. They can conceptualise ideas and solve problems at a much faster pace than their peers. Gifted and talented students are intense with their learning and often study areas at great depth. They perform best when interested, stimulated and challenged and they enjoy working with like-minded students.
A combination of measures are used to identify the gifted or talented student. The preferred method is formal assessment undertaken by qualified professionals, whilst taking into consideration parent nomination, checklists, student self-assessment, achievement tests and teacher observation.
Our programs aim to support students at their individual point of need, and Gifted and talented students benefit from this personalisation and differentiation. Ongoing assessments and observations enable staff to adjust the learning (what, how, when, why and who with) to suit the individual.
The programs available to Gifted and Talented students at Camelot Rise include:
- Extension Mathematics - Years 3-6 extension maths groups cater for children well above expected achievement in Maths
- Australian Schools' Maths Olympiad
- Maths Games Challenge
- Science Talent Search
- Technology Club
- Dance Club - Years 1-6
- Chess Club
- CHIP programs - run on a Saturday morning
- Lunchtime Clubs - Years F-6
- QUEST passion projects
- Debating - Years 5-6
- Differentiated and personalised curriculum - Blooms Taxonomy, Multiple Intelligences
- Overseas study tour of Noumea
- French speaking and listening, and poetry competitions
- Tournament of Minds - Years 4-6 (group depdendent)
- University of New South Wales (ICAS) competitions
- Student Leadership opportunities
- Leadership Seminars
- School production every 3rd year
- Instrumental music
- School Choir and ensembles
- Student Welfare
- Buddy system
The further development of programs that cater for highly able students (indeed all areas of student need) is a priority. Consequently, the staff at Camelot Rise have an excellent understanding of the needs of gifted and talented students and are committed to providing the best possible program that caters for the individual.